Polished concrete is a fantastic flooring choice for industrial facilities, commercial spaces and retail stores. Though durable and low-maintenance, it is possible to damage this type of flooring. Liquids left on a polished surface can stain or etch, especially if it is citric, acidic or caustic in nature. Stain protectors are added as a final layer to prevent damage.
Removing Scratches and Stains
If an etch happens, use diamond impregnated pads and specially formulated cleaners to restore the concrete. The condition of the floor determines which grit to start at to remove scratches and stains. Always start with the least aggressive grit that will effectively remediate the etch. They can lighten a surface and remove dyes.
Polished concrete cleaners are formulated to remove dirt without damaging the
refinement or aesthetic values of the floor. They work with stain protectors to retain color and prevent further damage. The source of a spill will determine how to clean it. We compiled a list of substances that can stain when spilled and the appropriate way to clean them.
- Acidic Substances (e.g. cola, milk, pickles, mustard): Acids will etch if not removed quickly. Clean immediately with fresh water or a concrete cleaner like Prosoco DailyKlean.
- Adhesives: Remove the tape with a razor blade, being careful not to scratch the floor surface. Use Prosoco Wax & Cure Remover or acetone to eliminate the gummy residue.
- Alkaline Substances (e.g. laundry soap, ammonia): Clean spills quickly and minimize stains by using a concrete cleaner like Prosoco DailyKlean. Refresh the gloss with a stain guard such as Prosoco LSGuard.
- Candy: Remove the substance from the floor and clean any sticky residue with a concrete cleaner. Prosoco DailyKlean works well for this.
- Chocolate: To get rid of most stains, dilute Prosoco Cleaner/Degreaser in a 1:10 ratio and light scrub.
- De-Icing Salts: Use a concrete cleaner like Prosoco DailyKlean to remove the deposits.
- Grease, Oil, Brake Fluid: Following a spill, clean with Prosoco Cleaner/Degreaser diluted to a 1:10 ratio with water.
- Set-in Stains: Use Prosoco Oil & Grease Stain Remover to pull out tough stains. For deep stains, you may need to apply more than once.
- Gum: Remove quickly to avoid staining and gently scrape up the remains. Eliminate leftover residue with Prosoco Wax & Cure Remover.
- Heel Marks: Rub scuff marks with a concrete cleaner like Prosoco DailyKlean.
- Mildew – For biological staining, treat the area with Prosoco EnviroKlean ReVive.
- Tire Marks – Scrub smudges with Prosoco Cleaner/Degreaser.
- Water Spots – Use of a high-speed rotary burnishing machine gets rid of most water spots quickly. On stubborn spots, dilute Prosoco LSGuard in a 1:10 ratio with water and lightly mist the surface before burnishing. The product creates a wet-looking shine.
Runyon Surface Prep Rental and Supply – Dedicated to the Surface Prep Industry
Runyon Surface Prep is a full-service sales and rental facility uniquely dedicated to the concrete polishing industry. Our uniqueness comes from providing our customers with a diverse equipment, product and supply portfolio. We offer training and support, such as technique workshops on prep, polishing or removal, and maintain a well-stocked inventory of consumables ready for your projects at a moment’s notice. Rather than perform contract work ourselves, we consult on job sites when necessary. With the backing of our vendors, Runyon Surface Prep offers support at any level, to assist in helping you get things done. We can deliver or ship wherever you need, or you can pick up from our facility.